Do you think there are only 5 reasons I love diving in Cozumel, Mexico? Ha! There are many more than 5, but hey, I’m not writing a novel, I am writing a blog! Diving in Cozumel is so easy, most are drift dives, and the visibility is crystal clear most of the time. So here goes, the top 5 reasons I love diving in Cozumel.
- TURTLES! Diving in Cozumel always includes turtles, turtles, turtles! Divers mostly encounter Hawksbill Turtles, who oddly enough do not nest on Cozumel, but on the mainland. Loggerheads and Greens nest on Cozumel, on the east side of the island, and Cozumel guards those nests, knowing how precious they are. All species of sea turtle are endangered. Diving in Cozumel I’ve seen Greens and Loggerheads, but Hawksbills are the most common, and every encounter with a sea turtle is magical! Cozumel snorkeling will also bring you in touch with turtles! Head to Punta Sur during turtle season, April through August, and snorkel. You will likely see one. And remember, plastic hurts turtles, especially straws! Try to use paper or buy a stainless steel straw. Most Cozumel restaurants, the last time I was there, were still using plastic, so please try to remember to take your own!
2. FISH! Beautiful, colorful fish. Friendly fish, shy fish, and every kind of Atlantic tropical fish! I love them so much I wrote a book about them, and not just Atlantic reef fish, but fish from all over the world. It is called All Fish Faces, Photos and Fun Facts about Tropical Reef Fish, available on Amazon!
3. SHARKS! Okay, Nurse Sharks. But hey, nurse sharks are pretty, and I really love seeing them! And there is the occasional Black Tip! Diving in Cozumel doesn’t bring many shark opportunities, but once in a while you’ll get lucky.
4. THE SPLENDID TOADFISH! This weird and wonderful fish is endemic to Cozumel! Who knows why? No one. But diving in Cozumel will let you see this beloved fish that can only be seen on Cozumel’s reefs. Yasser, dive master on We-B-Divin-Cozumel, has incredible eyes and seems to always find them!
5. COLOR. Cozumel’s colors are deep, rich, bright, and intense. I marvel at the blue of the ocean, siete colores de Cozumel, the water colors of Cozumel, the color of the animals, amazing sunsets, and the gorgeous mountains of coral and sponge. The colors of Cozumel are stupendous, and have to be seen to be believed. Again, Cozumel snorkeling will give you almost as much color as diving Cozumel!
Need more reasons to come to Cozumel? I have plenty of them! Diving in Cozumel, Cozumel Snorkeling, but there are many more reasons, like the only Pearl Farm in the Caribbean and incredible, fabulous restaurants! Stay tuned!
You’d also enjoy: