How Christmas is celebrated in Germany! Many of Germany’s wonderful Christmas traditions have found their way into America’s traditions. The Christmas Tree, Tannenbaum, is a German tradition. It began with bringing in boughs and wreaths and yule logs, and then the whole tree came into the home on Christmas Eve. In the old days, trees were decorated with candles, but we all know what a fire hazard that would be! There are flameless candle tapers for Christmas trees now, though. Decorating the Christmas Tree is still a German tradition! It came to America through Prince Albert, the German prince who married Queen Victoria of England. England happily adopted the tree, and so did America. Some of our favorite Christmas songs come from Germany as well, like Stille Nacht (Silent Night), and Oh Tannenbaum (Oh Christmas Tree).[Read more…] about Do You Know how Christmas is Celebrated in Germany?
Here are my suggestions for Christmas Movies for Empty Nest Parents and their Adult Kids, and we certainly qualify! I don’t know when you stop being Empty Nesters and become the family patriarch and matriarch? Hm.
We have always been a movie family, in fact, there are Minton Movies that are classics in our family: The Royal Tennenbaums, The Whole Nine Yards, The Ref, Christmas Vacation, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (animated, of course!), the list goes on. Now that our chicks are adults and we have one grandchild with another one on the way, we don’t sit around and watch The Miracle on 34th Street anymore (actually, they don’t, but I do!). Here is my list of Christmas movies that my family always enjoys, no matter how old anyone gets! [Read more…] about Christmas Movies for Empty Nest Parents and their Adult Kids!
Watching your diet for the whole year and reversing all that hard work during the holidays is a reality for almost everyone. No matter how carefully you watch your weight, just a few holidays can put to waste all those moments of observing carefully what you eat. Holidays are conducive to gaining weight. For one, you aim to derive maximum pleasure from the few off-days that you have from work. This means that you intend to spend most of your time trying not to move much and stuffing your mouth with whatever you can. Moreover, though this sedentary lifestyle is punctured by some moments of you going out with your friends, that too involves going to all the famous eateries you did not find time to go. Even if one is not at home and is travelling to their favorite holiday destination, they would still find it difficult to keep their weight in check. After all, when you go to a new place, you want to experience it to the maximum, and that experience involves trying out food that is part of the culture of the place you are at. Hence, during the holidays, it becomes really difficult for one to maintain their weight. [Read more…] about 5 tips to avoid weight gain on your Holiday Getaway
It is Giving Tuesday, everyone! Giving is a good thing! Generosity is always a positive. At this time in our history, I believe it is imperative to do something, whether it is for people, the environment, or our fellow creatures. These are all causes that need support, and are worthy of your generosity. Why not give to:
- Genesis Women’s Shelter, Dallas, Tx: Genesis is an important part of our fight against domestic violence, which still happens everywhere in the world. Genesis provides housing, training, and child care for those in need. Their Christmas program may be the only gifts these children, and mothers, receive. You can choose your family size by clicking on their website . Give a happy holiday to a family in need.
- REEF.org: REEF is an organization of divers and ocean enthusiasts who are dedicated to protecting our oceans. Ocean Conservation is one of the most important issues of our time. We need our oceans healthy and alive in order to breathe, eat, and live. I have donated and given time on one of their expeditions in St Lucia. REEF is a wonderful organization!
- Marine Megafauna Foundation: There are several ways to help Marine Megafauna save these giants for future generations! Become a Marine Guardian, Adopt something BIG, or become a Sponsor. You can also give back by participating in Citizen Science on their Ray of Hope Expeditions! I have done several of these trips and it benefits not only Ray of Hope, but one’s self!
- No matter your political affiliation, the separation of children from their parents is just plain wrong. There are still separated families and frightened children without their parents. You can give to www.rescue.org to help reunite families. What better gift to a child than to be reunited with her/his parents?
- I met Paul North of Meet the Ocean in Antarctica! Paul’s non-profit is educating the public on the importance of the saltwaters of our planet. Employing science, storytelling, and encounters from earth’s most remote locations, MTO combats environmental apathy and further understanding of how the ocean functions, in order to better protect it. Giving to Meet the Ocean helps educate kids!
There are so many organizations out there worthy of your time and money! What organizations do you routinely give to? Please leave a comment and tell us what charities you support!
Want to live abroad? Traveling is one of the best things in life, and you are blessed if you are able to travel abroad. It gets you out of your comfort zone, lets you explore different cultures and really get a sense for what life is like in other parts of the world. [Read more…] about What to Look for if You Want to Live Abroad